How secure are you?
Do you require your employees to use complex passwords and change them regularly? Is your virus protection software current and automatically performing updates? Do you regularly inspect your network traffic to uncover security problems? Do you have a written security policy that is actively enforced? Have you performed an outside scan of your firewall ports for accessible services? Are you meeting all the compliance standards for your industry?
As networks drive more business and are widely available to more users, they become more vulnerable to a broader range of security threats. Yesterday's security is no match for today's intruders, who are aggressively using sophisticated techniques to hack into systems and covering their tracks to make it more difficult for you to detect them. Network attacks can cause serious breaches in data confidentiality and integrity, as well as system downtime. They can be painfully expensive, and they can erode customer confidence.
Ensuring that your security shield is strong
Strong security is a compliance requirement of recent legislation, such as the Sarbanes-Oxley, Payment Card Industry, Gramm-Leach-Bliley, and HIPAA acts. What is strong security? The protection of your data, network equipment, and applications. Data protection means that company information is available when needed, is kept confidential, and maintains its integrity.
Our security review process not only looks at the security products you own, but digs into the policies and procedures that keep your defenses strong. We always start the review with a thorough discussion of your overall security posture so we can make sure that our recommendations fit your company culture and direction. We follow this with a series of activities you select from the list below.
A comprehensive security review
Each review is a unique combination of activities chosen from the following topics:
Baseline perimeter security review
- DNS and TCP/IP publicly accessible information
- Access to services from outside your network
- Firewall configuration, rules, and log review
- Router configuration and denial-of-service protection
- Modem access
- VPN configuration
Internal configuration inspection
- Network topology and protection of critical resources
- Server configuration and log review
- AS/400 and Unix/Linux host configuration
- Internal scan for open services and intruder accessibility
- Wireless review to check for "rogue" access points and security
- External penetration test to look for vulnerabilities
- Internal penetration test
- Externally hosted Web server testing
- Switch configuration review
- Workstation configuration review
- Remote access configuration review
- Sample laptop configuration review
- Antivirus strategy and implementation review
- Backup procedures and results review
- Physical security review
- Review of all internal servers
Client policies and procedures review
- Logging/reporting practices
- Security training and skill sets
- Security update procedures
- Security policy documentation and upper-level understanding of security
- Security procedures for users, written and unwritten
- Security procedures for administrators, written and unwritten
A result chock-full of specifics
We often get feedback that our security reviews provide far more details and practical security recommendations than the typical audit. Our goal is to help you bridge the gap between your security goals and your current reality, so we leave you with a wealth of information that is easily turned into a roadmap for an improved security posture.
The review results in two deliverables to help improve your network security:
- A summary of your current security environment and any areas of vulnerability we observed
- A report with recommendations, including:
- Product options, implementation strategies, policies, and configurations
- Prioritized changes that will make your network more secure
- Ongoing security enhancements
NPI has been providing leading-edge security services since the inception of the Internet, anticipating the needs of businesses, testing the newest appliances and applications, and installing and monitoring "best-of-breed" products at security-sensitive businesses such as banks, insurance companies, health-care facilities, and law firms. We've worked with all the best firewall products and every type of connection available today. Our technicians hold coveted certifications from Cisco, Check Point, Juniper, and RSA, and attend national security conferences such as SANS. At NPI, we are committed to security as a core business.
- Your security has not been reviewed by outside security experts for some time.
- Your management has requested a detailed report on the status of your computer security.
- You need help adjusting your security to meet new regulatory requirements.
- You suspect you've had an intruder, so you need an outside security expert who thinks like a hacker to discover any vulnerability your system might have.
- You want to stay ahead of the hackers with the latest security systems and practices.